Relevant information about our product MyHandTM
The ScIENCE OF NEUROPLASTICITY
Taking your Therapy to The Next Level
Neurological damage that results from a brain injury or a stroke often impacts the ability of a person to use their hands to perform many of the simple tasks such as self-feeding and personal care. With the appropriate rehabilitation intervention, partial to complete recovery is possible, especially if therapy is commenced early. The degree and speed of recovery is highly dependent on the access to rehab therapists and to equipment that has been demonstrated to help a patient’s brain relearn how to control their hand.
There are challenges, especially in resource-constrained environments, in being able to access/afford the level of care required. The costly and complex nature of the current generation of robotic rehabilitation systems, typically requiring intense access to rehab professionals, exacerbates the challenge. There is a clear market need for simple to use, low cost hand rehabilitation devices that patients can use at the clinic and / or at home on their own with telemedicine guidance from therapists. Our MyHandTM device addresses this need.
Embedded Functional Protocols
The embedded functional hand training protocols, developed based on many years of scientific and clinical research, are pre-set exercise regimens that target various hand grasping functions, to enable a function-oriented approach to train hand function. A total of 16 protocols have been generated, which specifically focus on enhancing the hand functions needed to support independent living.
Each protocol specifies a sequence of exercises that address the fundamental requirement as prescribed in the domains of exercise prescription and neuroscience. The main focus will take a granular approach and target hand function. These sample functional tasks include:
- Squeezing a ball
- Holding a book
- Grasping a bottle
- Grasping a paper cup
- Buttoning up a jacket
- Zipping up pants/jacket
- Grasping a pen to sign/write
The targeted functional movements will focus on:
- Hand function
- Precision based sensory-motor control
- Proprioception training
- Enabling neuroplastic circuits in the brain
- Greater functional control for everyday tasks
IRegained’s MyHandTM system requires a patient’s individual fingers and thumb to be inserted into five finger cups. The patient is asked to perform various grasps, and the device intelligently opposes the movements of each finger and the thumb, allowing us to train each finger individually, or multiple fingers or fingers/thumb collectively. Force, precision, coordination and range of motion for each of these can be varied to stimulate efficient neuroplasticity.
The view of a patient’s hand is intentionally obstructed from her/his view; they can only see the movements of their fingers/thumb on the provided patient display. This causes their brain to go into problem solving mode, thus taking advantage of the brain’s innate ability to heal itself – neuroplasticity.
Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT IS IREGAINED PROCESS?
This process will involve:
- Initial clinician assessment to determine general health status and hand function ability.
- Identifying a patient’s initial goal, in consultation with the clinician.
- Establishing a set of hand training exercise regimens specific to the patient.
- Identifying immediate, short-term and long-term goals.
- Creating a structured exercise program for the patient, with a follow-up plan
WHEN MIGHT I BE ABLE TO USE THIS DEVICE IN A CLINIC?
IRegained is working at producing the commercial version of our system and anticipates that we will be shipping systems in Q3 of 2020
HOW DOES IREGAINED ACHIEVE A PATIENTS GOAL?
To attain the patient’s goal:
- Fundamental components for each segment are identified.
- Methodology for each segment will focus on processes that promote greater neuroplasticity (meaning that the brain will improve its capacity to rewire itself and to generate new neural pathways to replace those damaged by a stroke or brain injury).
- The MyHandTM device physical parameters (e.g. height, arm / wrist support etc.) are adjusted to suit patient needs and comfort.
- Appropriate feedback systems are put in place.
- We have leveraged an extensive understanding of neuroplasticity and post stroke or traumatic brain injury to develop and validate 16 distinct hand function protocols targeting various hand functions and associated activities of daily living (ADL)
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A PATIENT WORKS WITH A CLINICIAN WHO USES A MyHand DEVICE?
A patient in their first meeting with the clinician (physiotherapist or occupational therapist), will identify their specific goal based on the provided list.
The clinician will then perform a detailed assessment of current hand abilities and function.
Based on the identified goal, the clinician will prescribe the appropriate exercises built into each MyHand device, to help with the hand training process to ensure patients reach their goal
WHAT CLINICS WILL BE OFFERING THIS DEVICE?
Please check out the “Clinics offering therapy using MyHand” webpage from time to time; we will be posting the names and contact info of the physiotherapy clinics that will be offering rehabilitation services using our system.
WHAT IS NEUROPLASTICITY?
This natural phenomenon of the brain to reorganize itself, extends to both individuals who are healthy and for those who have sustained an injury to the brain. If and when there is damage to one or more parts of the brain, due to stroke or trauma, the affected brain cells die and unlike other cells in the body cannot regrow. The good news however, is that, appropriate training methods can enable other nearby brain cells to start learning the new function, which the dead cells used to perform. This is achieved by creating new synaptic connections (or new connections between the existing brain cells), and thereby creating alternative neural pathways, which then can enable the performing of the function(s) that was lost as a result of stroke or trauma. The recovery of the lost function can be complete or partial depending on the extent of damage sustained by the brain.
An infomercial from IRegained on their product MyHandTM
YOUR RECOVERY IS IN YOUR HANDS